The following are safety tips for real estate agents during open houses and property showings:
- Before showing a property have the client come to your office and provide you with their information. Never meet a new client for the first time at a vacant property.
- If possible keep at least one other person with you at all times.
- Always let someone know where you are going and how long you plan on being there. Check in often.
- Be sure your cell phone is charged and emergency numbers are programmed.
- Show properties and hold open houses before dark whenever possible.
- Inform neighbors you are showing the property. They can serve as a lookout for suspicious activity.
- Drive separately to showings.
- Never park your car where it can be blocked in.
- Upon entering a home determine evacuation routes in the case of an emergency.
- When hosting an open house have all visitors sign in. Allow visitors to access the property through one door- making sure to keep side, rear, and garage doors locked.
- Always walk behind prospective clients.
- Come up with a fake scenario that allows you leave the property quickly in the event you feel uncomfortable. For example," I need to take this call." And exit.
It is important to always be cautious and trust your instincts!